God Is... Our Shepherd

 


Kylie Voight

God Is... Our Shepherd

This week in our “God is” series, we will be discovering what it means for the Lord to be our shepherd. 

 

When we think of a shepherd, what do we think? Probably someone with a rod and staff, standing around a flock of sheep. In a sense, that’s the picture! In biblical times, the role of a shepherd was to guard, protect, and care for the flock. This is exactly what the Lord is to us. 

 

Arguably, one of the most famous Psalms (Psalm 23) describes our Lord as a shepherd: “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and staff comfort me.” Again, in the Gospel according to Matthew, Jesus notes that like a shepherd, if one sheep is to go astray, He will leave the flock to chase down that one and bring it back home. 

 

The Lord just isn’t any shepherd, He is the PERFECT shepherd. He is our shepherd. Though we may run astray, he will chase us down and call us back home so we may follow him on paths of righteousness. We can find peace even in the darkness when we follow the Lord. He is there to defend us while we are under attack. No matter how far we run, our Shepherd will seek us and bring us into the light. 

 

What an awesome truth we have! How good of a God do we serve that He continually saves us when we defy him and run to the darkness every day. This is what a perfect Shepherd looks like. 


Thanks for sticking with me today SheBrews Fam (: 

May the Lord bless you and keep you this week!

Comments

Popular Posts